Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sketches from Beach Blanket Beyond, Part 1

So, folks, in order to give y'all a look into what exactly goes on my headcheese, I thought I'd start posting some sketches and designs that I've been making while working on the Beach Blanket Beyond comic.

I'll be posting bits of this stuff with regularity leading up to the World Premiere of the Hypnokomix Anthology, in August which, as you may remember, will feature 6 pages of BBB teaser material.

As always, I hope you enjoy this stuff, and both of you please feel free to comment or ask me any questions you may have!

R


This first sketch is of Aunt Agatha -- I got a bit carried away with this one, deviating from the Jack Davis-Rick Griffin style that I've been working in for most of BBB's character designs. Still, I like her hands. Creepy...


Here's the first sketch of Howie P. Luvkraft that I did, when Jason Squamata and I were still just spitballin' possible storylines. I think it sums him up nicely, although I have continued to (gleefully) elongate his head.


And here's some initial designs for Augie, Howie's intrepid sidekick.

2 comments:

Mick said...

great mits on the owd girl there... very egon shiele ... shelli... she... you get my drift

Sir Richard Wentworth said...

Thanks Mick, you're right -- it's very much like... that feller! One of those cases when I got carried away and wandered far from the style I'm supposed to be working in...

Hey, BTW, I wandered over to your blog, and LOVE it! Blown away by yer backgrounds too... very, very cool!